Thursday, December 10, 2009

DSL Twins Prospects: Wander Guillen

Wander Guillen

Third Base
Age: 17
Bats: Right
ETA: 2016
Potential: Solid third baseman
2010 outlook: GCL Twins infield

Wander Guillen played for the Twins Dominican Summer League team this year. I didn’t include any DSL Twins in my top 50 prospects because the Twins Dominican academy is so far removed from Target Field. It is just really difficult to predict how the players there will perform in the other minor league levels, and if they will ever even reach the big leagues. I know my rankings included players like Jean, Kepler, Polanco, and Gibson who haven’t even played in the minors yet, but I had to draw the line somewhere. However, I still feel that there are a few players that were on the DSL Twins that are worthy of mention. I’ll start with Guillen.

Guillen is 5’11” and weighs 170 pounds. He still has time to grow bigger as he just turned 17 this August. Guillen could have played more had he started to play before the July 2nd international signing date. Guillen played in 31 games, and had 110 at-bats. In those 110 at-bats, he hit one homer, one triple, and three doubles. He walked 19 times compared to 23 strikeouts. He stole two bases. His triple slash line was .336/.443/.409. He had the team’s top batting average, and tied as the team leader of on-base percentage. Again it is hard to judge a 17 year old on 110 at-bats at such a low level.

I expect to see Guillen in the GCL Twins’ infield next season. That might end up being the Twins’ most interesting minor league infield in 2010 with Miguel Jean, Jorge Polanco, and Wander Guillen all playing there.

1 comment:

  1. That would be a fun infield to keep track of, but I wonder if Wander (!?!?) won't repeat time in the DSL.

    ReplyDelete